Thursday, February 10, 2005

Richard Hell

Speaking of writers 'n' punk rock 'n' shit, I was dubbing some old Television bootlegs the other day for a friend who just read Please Kill Me and I got to thinking about Richard Hell, who was in the original Television lineup from their beginnings as the Neon Boys. (The story of his and Tom Verlaine's misadventures is in the previously mentioned tome as well as the also-worthy From the Velvets to the Voidoids by Clinton Heylin.) Speaking of the Voidoids, that was the band Hell had with gtrist Bob Quine, who took his own life last year. In between times, Hell was in the original Heartbreakers lineup with a couple of ex-New York Dolls. Now he writes novels. Somebody told me he got fat. From the pic on his website, it would appear that they were full of shit.

It's funny, I've gone years without reading anything longer than a cereal box, but I think I might have to get up from the 'puter and spend a few weeks reading some of this great shit I've been stumbling across. Or watch some movies or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home