Thursday, July 20, 2006

shaking my jones

my dad is like a walking scared-straight for smokers. he's 82 now, and for something like 50 yrs, he burned 4 packs of winstons a day, like some weird incense (prolly smoked at least 2 1/2). he quit 10 yrs ago and his lungs still rattle constantly. i figured my own urge to smoke was triggered by proximity to work, musos, and alcohol (i started smoking cigs around the time i started playing in bands, initially to "disguise" the smell of weed and so i'd have an excuse to have matches 'n' ashtrays in my room) so if i took a wk off from work and two wks off from playing, i might be able to wean myself off the habit. so far so good. i was in the bar for a minute last night and didn't get the urge. kitty case suggested i chew toothpicks instead. will try that out at stooge prac this sunday, then at the jam and stoogeaphilia show next wk.

1 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

3 months w/ no chokes fer me today.

it sounds stupid, and everyone i hang with who "wants to quit" shrugs it off, but i took $125 from my pay and sat with a hypno for an hour and it worked. it ain't magic, but it does almost totally squash the jones and w/drawl sympts so you can focus all yer energy on staying quit. least it did fer me.

whatver it takes and however you do it though... that's the key part of the cessation equation. wish you the best.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home