Tuesday, January 16, 2007

tv didn't always suck balls

showing our age, my sweetie 'n' i have been trawling the intarweb for stuff we usedta watch on teevee as tots (altho these days we only see it late at night in bars with the sound off and our set serves as a dvd/vcr monitor only).

found out, among other thangs, that my sweetie's childhood fave sally starr was an associate of bill "rock around the clock" haley. regrettably, couldn't find any watchable-on-our-'puter vid on wonderama (whose host sonny fox usedta teach at suny stony brook in the '70s and wound up working for a nonprofit dedicated to promoting aids prevention and population control; who'd a thunk it?), but did find an an int on youtube with three cats i usedta watch on wnew-tv in noo yawk: soupy sales (i was watching his show the time he told the kids to "take green pictures of presidents from your father's wallet and send them to me"), sandy becker (creator of norton nork and hambone), and "uncle" fred scott (the newsreader who did one of the afternoon cartoon shows).





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe you mentioned Sally Starr. I loved her as a kid. Perhaps my first infatuation outside of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. And yes, Our Gal Sal did have many special guests on her show, which at the time were really special but now as an adult I appreciate that much more. I thank you for the link to my past and am so glad and impressed she's still working it. Soupy Sales was also fun / amazing but I'd only catch him when I was up NYC way visiting family.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home