Friday, August 22, 2008

belle meade, nj, 8.22.2008

in a little while, my niece will come and pick me up to take me to the airport in newark. enroute, we'll stop off and see my ma one more time.

ma doesn't know where she is, but she knows she's safe and everyone there treats her kindly. i don't think she's unhappy.

yesterday i talked to my dad's nurse, who had some pretty good insight. said that a lot of his abrasive antics are just attention-getting behavior, and under all his bluster and bullshit, he just wants to be loved (as do we all). it's just a shame he doesn't have a better way of showing it. he was emotional/apologetic when he realized i was leaving, but i got to tell him what i needed to.

i was struck by how much rocky hill, nj, looks just like the town on lawn guyland where i grew up. or maybe after living in texas for 30 yrs, every place on the east coast kinda looks generically the same to me.

had a nice japanese dinner in princeton last night, then went to the record exchange (one of my fave rekkid stores left in the country). the parking lot next door was torn up to make way for some mixed-use residential-commercial space. my gawd, i thought, it's happening everywhere.

found a used copy of the ray charles comp on rhino that mysteriously disappeared from the house, so we'll have "georgia on my mind" and "america the beautiful" next time we need 'em. and a clean vinyl copy of mitch ryder's detroit alb, so i can slip it on in between the rationals and bob seger's smokin' o.p.'s and feel pure 'n' happy. also a mag to read on the plane, altho i suspect i'll sleep most of the way home.

it's gonna be good to be home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Having watched my grandmother's decline from dementia over the past 2-3 years (and eventual death back in March), and watching my mother cope (or not, sometimes) with the demise of her mother's personality, it's really interesting to hear your take on your parent's mental state. I hope that my parents fare better, though I have a feeling my mother will end up in the exact same sad state as her mom, and therefore I will become my mother.
I'm taking my folic acid and eating fish oil, in a desperate hope to avoid the dementia that seems predestined for the women in my family.
:(

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home