Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3.16.2010, ftw

my sweetie 'n' i took my big sis to see warhol: the last decade at the modern with laurie and rabbi frank.

quite an eye-opener, as i don't really think about andy slinging paint, and i didn't realize how productive he was toward the end of his life, exploring new media (although the collaborations with jean-michel basquiat mainly seemed self-indulgent, i dug the way certain motifs -- particularly the last supper -- recurred in several of the pieces). and the "urine and acrylic" pieces made me wonder who peed first, andy or andres serrano. some of his self-portraits were undeniably striking, as were the big rorshach-looking pieces where you could see actual brushstrokes. but nicholas nixon's photos of the brown sisters (his wife and her three sisters, shot annually from 1975 to 2007) were probably the most impactful thing i saw today.

ate at cafe modern beforehand, where chef dena peterson does magic in the kitchen, undercut a bit by the service (which, in fairness, may have been overwhelmed by the spring break crowd). then stopped at pho 95 in haltom city enroute to stoogeprac, where my big sis got to see what i was doing all those nights since i was 15, albeit with collaborators and material that i dug less than the ones i have now. opening instead of working midshift tomorrow, which hopefully means i'll get to spend more time with my kids/grandkids in the evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Y'know, now that you mention it, the Basquiat collaborations did seem a bit self-indulgent... but when you're Warhol, why not? ;)

And yes! The "pee paintings" made me think of Serrano too! Jesse and I were speculating whether it was Warhol's pee, or some that he somehow borrowed?!

I love love love that series by Nicholas Nixon. I could stand there forever, trying to put them in order in my head, noticing who got a new hairdo that year, etc.

I'm glad y'all enjoyed it. And, I wish I knew a Rabbi!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home